The creation of the Advanced Technology Research Council marks a turning point for Abu Dhabi and the UAE. We now have a unique opportunity to consolidate our efforts across the entire national technology ecosystem – from strategy and investment to research and application – to deliver breakthroughs with global impact.
To establish a vibrant research and development ecosystem that positions Abu Dhabi and the wider UAE as a key technology player on the world stage, and to support the country’s transformation into a knowledge-based economy.
Advanced Technology Research Council
His Highness Sheikh Khaled bin Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Chairman of Abu Dhabi Executive Council and Chairman of the Board of Advanced Technology Research Council (ATRC)
We are nurturing the next generation of talent through our NexTech Program, which places exceptional Emirati STEM students in leading global universities to collaborate with experts on groundbreaking research projects.
Our researchers are currently partnering on projects with colleagues in high-profile institutions such as Yale, Manchester, and CalTech.
With a talent pool of almost 1,000 employees across diverse backgrounds from 70+ nationalities, we convene STEM talent spanning a rich mélange of cultures and experiences.
We are setting the Abu Dhabi Government’s R&D technology priorities for academia and research institutions across sectors.
ATRC is responsible for defining Abu Dhabi’s research strategy across academia and industry, consolidating and facilitating efficient investment funding, and driving policy and regulation for agile decision-making.
In just three years, we have registered a raft of exciting wins.
- Falcon LLMs [globally-ranked opensource AI models that outperform tech giants such as Meta’s LLMs]
- First post-quantum cryptography software library in the UAE
- Arab world’s first Quantum Qubit
- In advanced stages of solar panel coating to improve performance and reduce maintenance
- GPS-less navigation systems to enable autonomous logistics
- Ground penetrating radar for innovative demining
- In the final stages of enabling quantum communication
- MBZIRC’s Grand Maritime Challenge, XPRIZE Feed The Next Billion, and A2RL are facilitating leading innovations